Saturday, April 5, 2014

Bella Swan Bashers

I know this topic is like, so yesterday but I wanted to address this topic myself to see how others feel about it.

I have a confession to make:  I love Twilight.  Don't ask me why, I honestly can't tell you but it makes me smile :D Truly, I probably had a stupid grin on my face throughout 80% of those books like some deranged lunatic.  I love the movies too, even the first one which is absolutely cringe worthy. 

So now that I'm sure I've lost half of you, I'll continue...

The first thing I would like to address is the hatred of Bella as a character.  For anyone who is saying to themselves, "OMG, who could possibly hate Bella?" go to Google and type in 'Bella Swan aka Leading Idiot of Shame' (Yes, seriously).

There seems to be a consensus that Bella is a pathetic, bitchy, boring idiot.  While I agree that her character leaves a little to be desired I have a hard time understanding this absolute hatred of her.  Is she pathetic at times? Sure, but show me a sixteen year old who isn't at some point or another.  I read one comment that said she was bitchy because she was judgmental when she met a HOUSE FULL OF VAMPIRES.  I'm not going to even address that.  Is she boring? A little, but I'm inclined to believe that it kind of works for the story being told. 

I've also heard that she is a poor role model.  To that I say, we can't all be Katniss Everdeen.  Is Bella Swan the best literary heroine since Elizabeth Bennet? Obviously not.  But she is who she is, why all the hatred?

The other thing I'd like to address is her relationship with Edward that I've often seen described at abusive and unhealthy.  I suppose I can kind of see were that is coming from.  At least, I recognize the specific instances that are pointed out to make that argument.

I think that those who hold that belief are reading through an adults eyes with an adults ideals and sensibilities.  Teenagers by definition have their emotions running in overdrive. EVERYTHING is life and death with them.  They think the end of the world is not getting tickets to a Justin Bieber concert (teenagers still like the Biebs right? I have no idea, my kid is 5).  It seems fitting that in a story about teenagers for teenagers that every emotion would heightened.  My point is that maybe, just maybe, we are reading to much into it.  Please don't throw things at me.  :)

I can see the argument now: "It's because Twilight is geared for teenagers that this is cause for concern."  That doesn't really give teenagers enough credit.  I think most are smart enough to discern the difference between a happy and healthy relationship and one that isn't.  Besides, I think they are probably more interested in the dreamy sparkly vampire and the buff hot werewolf.

What do you think?  Do you love/hate Bella?  Is Edward abusive?  Do you think this whole post is irrelevant and not really care?  Talk to me people.


 ♥ Chloe

2 comments:

  1. as long as we're down the road of honesty - I've never read the books, not even a single one. I forwarded through one or two of the movies (I just couldn't bring myself to sit through the entire thing), but I've seen and read enough to say the following thing :
    the wave of hatred towards Bella is (in my opinion) not so much dictated from her personality in the books, but rather Kristen Stewart's poor acting..subsequently everything regarding Bella becomes shitty by association. A sort of ad hominem situation in reverse, in a way..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristen Stewart is SO SO BAD. It's painful to watch. In fact after watching the movies I went back and reread the books to see if it was really written that awful or if it was just her. I think it's a combination of her and the screen writing. I'm not sure why whoever wrote the screenplay felt they need to make it so cheesy... the books are cheesy but not that bad.

      You are probably right. In fact I bet there are many of the Bella bashers who haven't even read the books. Though I doubt that would convince them of her awesomeness... LOL

      Thanks for your input!

      Delete